Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Caramelised Fennel, Kale and Goat Curd Quiche






For the first time in 3 years I have been hit by a cold. I spent last weekend, one of the hottest on record outdoors and indoors at different kid friendly venues. The end result? is my daughter and I are sick.  But while she was still able to head off to summer camp today, for the first time I was totally disabled...except for my fingers, so here goes. 

This is a variation on a Donna Hay Recipe. I think that everyone knows that my love for everything Donna Hay knows no bounds. With the start of  my daughter's kindergarten days coming in less than 4 weeks, I  am continuing to try different recipes for her lunch box. I did not have all of the ingredients at home so there are some substitutes. 

I tried this two days ago and the results were stellar! Enjoy! 

Caramelised Fennel, Kale and Goat's curd quiche.  Add Prosciutto for some extra kick. 



1/2 Cup Sherry Vinegar( I used wine vinegar because I could not find sherry vinegar)
1/2 Cup brown sugar
sea salt and cracked black pepper
500 g baby fennel halved ( if not a local supermarket , try farmer's markets)
2 eggs
1 cup single pouring cream( or canned evaporated milk ) 
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard. 
2 sheets store bought butter puff pastry thawed. 
kale leaves, blanched ( bring a  large pot of water  and salt to a roiling bowl boil kale until tender or al dente, your choice) and chopped. 
1./2 cup goat's curd or soft goat cheese sliced, plus extra to serve. 
Stripped prosciutto 


Preheat oven to 425F. Place the vinegar, sugar, sale and pepper in a small deep-sided baking tray. Add the fennel cut side down, and roast for 35-40 minutes or until sticky and tender. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees. Place the eggs, cream, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk to combine. Trim the pastry and use to line a lightly greased loose bottomed tin overlapping the sheets in the center. Top with the kale and fennel, cut side-up. Pour over the egg mixture and place spoonfuls of the goat cheese around the fennel. Place the prosciutto strips around the fennel. Bake for 40 minutes or until just set and golden. Serve with extra goat's cheese. 
Serves 4. 

Enjoy! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Popular Posts