Thursday, July 5, 2012

Cheese Spread for Sandwiches - Guyanese Version


So many people have asked for this recipe and it is not on the web...here goes...


Guyana Cheese Spread - This is a traditional Guyanese spread used for sandwiches. We can trace it back to our British heritage and tradition of tea with sandwiches and cakes. If we need a snack we take this out of the fridge and eat it with bread, bagels or crackers.  Adults and children are also initially attracted to this sandwich because of the different colors ( food coloring). I cannot even remember when I made this for the first time, I just knew how to make it, it passes from generation to generation.



 Cheese Sandwiches ( Mom's Recipe from Guyana South America) 



Ingredients - I do not have any exact measurements. Add the ingredients and taste as you proceed. Here are some approximate measurements.
Serves 8 people and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Sharp Cheddar Cheese - Large ( 8 or 16 oz). Must be sharp 
1 tsp of Mustard- or add more if needed. 
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup of milk or added as needed. Milk helps the spread to become smooth and creamy. be careful if you add too much the spread becomes soft. 
A dash of Tabasco or pepper sauce. 
Parsley finely chopped ( must be very fine)
Food Coloring ( 4 to 5 colors) 

Grate the cheese ( fine ) and set aside. Put cheese, mustard, butter, parsley, pepper sauce and milk in a large bowl. Using a hand or standing mixer whip everything together until it is firm and smooth. It should be smooth enough to spread on bread. The cheese must be melted and whipped into the mixture, no chunks
( add more milk).


Place the finished spread into 4 Martha Stewart mini prep bowls.. Drizzle a different color of the Liquid Food Coloring into each bowl. Mix the coloring in and set aside. To make a "triple deck sandwich", layer one color on the bottom slice of your choice of whole wheat or white traditional bread ( I like P Farm Whole Grain . Cover with a second slice and then add a second color to the slice.Top with slice number 3. Cut all of the edges off of the bread and make a final diagonal cut. Voila! A cheese sandwich that cannot be beat!










9 comments :

  1. Thanks for posting, Deb! Memories of my grandma's cheese sammies, love it. I also use the cheese paste in puff pastry, bake for 15-20 mins and voila, cheese rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NP! ahh, that is another good recipe! thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! Could never figure out how to make this but loveddd eating it as a child. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friends mom made this an he would never tell me how! I've been craving it for YEARS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friends mom made this an he would never tell me how! I've been craving it for YEARS!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I searched for these for years..thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, thank you, thank you Ny family is Guyanese and I ate this ONE time as a child and NEVER forgot about it

    I searched high & low to find the recipe and so happy I have. God bless you����

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is really helpful 👏 ❤

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts