Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Raising Good Readers- Instill a love of books.







children reading


I learned very early from my mother that books should be treated with reverence. My allowance was only for books, and she was very concerned if I did not treat my books with care. My dad told me many stories without the help of books and just the storytelling had a huge impact on my life. My heart races when I see a new book in the store.

Parent Mangzine recently listed their Top Ten List for raising good readers. I make an extra effort every day to ensure that my daughter understands and adopts my love for books. To be sure her allowances will only be for books regardless of the technology around us.

  1. Read to your children as soon as they can sit on your lap. Make a bedtime story a regular event.
  2. Read , even 5 to 20 minutes a day, precious minutes to time stressed parents can make a big difference.
  3. read books to younger children with lots of repetition. Repetition makes books predictable and they anticipate what is coming next. They develop a sense of mastery over books.
  4. Don't stop reading to your children once they know how to read themselves. Children's listening skills develop at a different level.
  5. Head for the Library.Get your children library cards in their own names. Take advantage of story time at your local library or bookstore.
  6. Help your children find books that they enjoy and are tailored to their interests whether it is chapter books or comic books. Let them consider online books or audio books.
  7. Help older children find a series that excites them. That way if a child gets hooked on one book, there is another one waiting when they finish. This was the way I was with the Nancy Drew series.
  8. Set up a reading reward program. For example, if they read for 30 minutes they earn an extra 30 minutes of playtime.
  9. Talk about what you and your child are reading. This helps children with language skills. Link the stories you read to everyday life.
  10. Make time to read yourself! Children who see their parents reading are more likely to view it as fun and not a chore.

It is the most important gift we can give to our children.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Popular Posts